Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

CREAMY HAMBURGER GRAVY OVER MASHED POTATOES




When I think of this meal I am instantly taken back in time to High School. Hamburger gravy and High School you say? Yes! It's because HB Gravy over mashed potatoes was one of my all time favorite lunches. I was beyond spoiled, I admit it. Not only did I grow up in a wonderful community where everyone knew everyone (not always a good thing, like the time my neighbor ratted me out when I took my mom's Toyota for a spin ...pre Driver's Ed of course) and my third grade teacher was also the Basketball coach, our Home Teacher and my Bishop; but our school lunches were prepared each day, fresh and homemade with love from the mothers of the community. Mrs. Dayton...what a wonderful lady. I'll never forget her or the fact that she always had a smile or a tease, or that she let us sneak into the kitchen occasionally and treat us with a cookie between classes (sshhh...don't tell). I don't have her original recipe, and unfortunately she's passed away now. So this is my personal concoction. So from my kitchen to yours, Eat Up!
CREAMY HAMBURGER GRAVY
2 lb. ground hamburger
Several dashes of onion and garlic powder

If you are using 90/10 HB, add 2 TB butter
1/2 c flour
1 can evaporated milk (if you don't have evap, use all whole, but evap really changes the flavor)
1-1 1/2  c whole milk as needed



Over medium heat brown hamburger in skillet. Once done, add garlic and onion powder, then butter (Yes butter! If you're looking for low-fat recipes you are looking in the wrong place, looking for tasty recipes....keep reading). Add flour and coat HB well, then make a roux by slowly adding the milk over high heat until it thickens to gravy. It will thicken the higher the heat, but be careful not to burn. Keep adding milk until your desired consistency, then turn down the heat to low. Enjoy. Great with a side salad and green beans.
(This is Jason's plate....yes he can and does eat this much and does not gain an inch!)

No comments: