Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

RICE PUDDING: A BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!

Yes, THIS rice pudding recipe is THAT good. Let me explain. I had leftover rice from our dinner last night sitting on the kitchen counter this morning. I was debating on what to do with it for dinner. I'm going to dinner with my friend Diane for her birthday tonight so I thought about making a mexican rice casserole or a chicken-mushroom bake for Jason and the boys. I was busy mixing up a cake for Di when Silas comes moseyin' through the kitchen:
"Mom, whatcha doin? Oh....es dat a cake! Yum. Fo us?"
"Its for Auntie Di's birthday, but she said she only wanted half of the cake, so yes, you can have a piece of cake after dinner."

"What's dat?", he asks pointing to the tupperware full of rice.
"It's leftover rice from dinner last night. I'm trying to decide what to do with it."
"I know! I know mom. How bout we haf rice pudding! PEAS, peas mom. I want dat for my tweat". So THIS is how good it is.....that a 3 year old wants rice pudding over a piece of cake!
How could I resist. I made rice pudding for breakfast and sat down to eat it with the cutest 3 year old in the Universe.
Here is Silas chowing down his 2nd bowl. "I luff dis stuff, mom. Tanks. Tanks fo making it fo me."
OLD FASHIONED COOKED RICE PUDDING
Per each cup of cooked rice you have you will need:
1 1/4 c milk (I mix and match using cream or half n half, regular milk and evap milk)
1/4 + 2 TB sugar
1/2 TB cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
Scald the milk. Meanwhile mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a separate bowl. Once the milk is ready, add the sugar mixture and bring to a boil stirring constantly so it doesn't scorch. Once boiling and the rice and bring back to a boil. Meanwhile, whip the eggs in the sugar bowl and set aside. When the the rice is boiling again, turn off the stove and take it off the heating plate and scoop a little into the egg mixture and whip well. Pour this back into the rice mixture and move it back onto the heating plate (even though it's turned off) and stir until all eggs are mixed in, it's smooth and creamy and it stops boiling. Enjoy!

No comments: