Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A HEART-STOPPING SIGHT!

Ever had the "heart-stopping, blood turned cold, bone-chilling" parental moment where you know your child barely escaped major harm and injury? Yesterday....I had one of those
moments with Silas.
See anything interesting?
Yes, that is a folding hunting knife! I stumbled across this scene as I was headed to change out the laundry. There it was, just casually laying amidst the rest of Silas's toys like it always belonged there. I can't begin to describe the fear that gripped me the moment I saw it, frozen in complete horror....chills running down my spine. At the same time I could hear Silas giggling at something he was playing with, I was haunted by horrible images of what could have happened to him..(i.e, falling on the knife or slicing himself, or losing a finger or an eye)! After the shock wore off and I made sure that Silas had all 10 fingers and toes, gratitude sunk in deep and heavy as I hugged him so close he could barely breathe.....then I had a serious and stern conversation about with him about how dangerous knives are. Soon guilt was knocking on my heart.....WHERE on earth did he find it, and WHY didn't I know he was in trouble when I was just a few minutes and a few steps away from him? After all I am his mother, and his safety is my responsibility, I am not blameless. In the end it was a close call, an eye-opening experience and a big sigh of relief for me. I am also very happy to report that he did not destroy anything during his inquisitive discovery. I haven't found any puncture holes in my couch or chairs or pillows, but that doesn't mean I haven't stopped looking!

No comments: