Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Wednesday, December 8, 2010

THE ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE!



One of my best childhood memories is coming home from school to the smell of baking chocolate chip cookies. There is definitely something reminiscent and calming about eating a fresh chocolate chip cookie with a tall glass of ice cold milk. I think the world would be a much nicer place if everyone took the time to enjoy this chocolate moment once in a while! Not all cookie recipes are created equal. If you are going to the trouble of making them from scratch, then make it count. The best chocolate chip cookie starts with the best ingredients; pure butter, fresh soft brown sugar and the best chocolate. I use Hershey's and Nestle because they melt so well and are the perfect combination of sugar and cocoa. I have used Ghiradelli & Guittard, but the cookies didn't taste as good. I'm sure it's individual preference. So, on with it. Here is my recipe:

1 c softened butter (softened, not at all melted!)
1 1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp PURE vanilla (not imitation)
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 c flour
1 1/4 c Hershey's milk chocolate chips
1 1/4 c Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips
I NEVER use an electric beater when making chocolate chip cookies. It ruins them, they turn out too flat. So for my recipe, use some muscle and mix by hand. I prefer to use a wooden spoon. Mix the butter and brown sugar a little, then add the vanilla and eggs and stir. Add the salt and soda and mix again. Next add the flour and mix until well incorporated. Last, add the chocolate chips. Once mixed, refrigerate dough for about 10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 375. I bake on a Silpat (Demarle), it's a silicone baking sheet. It's revolutionized my life! Famous chefs, pastry artists and even Martha Stewart uses them. If you're interested in knowing more about Demarle products go to www.demarleathome.com (I'm a sales rep and not only are they affordable but they are a lifetime product). Bake for 8-11 minutes depending upon your oven, I need about 10 1/2 minutes with my oven. Eat while still warm. Disclaimer...you will not be able to eat only one, so beware!

No comments: