Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP....MY RECIPE THAT GIVES OLIVE GARDEN A RUN FOR IT'S MONEY!


I love Olive Garden. It is my favorite restaurant. Everybody that knows me, knows this. I go about three times a year, once for my birthday, once on a date with my husband, and once for a Girl's Night Out. I am never disappointed, never. The service is impeccable, the food is always served hot and delicious, and don't get me started on the bread sticks! When you're here, you're family (said with an Italian accent)! I've already recreated the Zuppa Toscana (see my recipes link to get it), so Monday afternoon I thought it was time to try my hand at their creamy Chicken Gnocchi soup. I'm trying to recite the recipe from memory, because I just add ingredients as I see fit. Sometimes I end up adding more ingredients at the end, etc. I really need to start taking notes as I cook to keep track of everything better. Here is my best recollection.
I used a 16 oz. package Gia Russa potato gnocchi from the pasta aisle at Walmart. It's imported from Italy. I think it's was $2, and so worth it. It was the perfect amount.

1- 16 oz pkg gnocchi
3 TB olive oil

1/2 c diced sweet onion
1/2 c diced celery
2 TB minced garlic
1/2 c finely shredded carrots
5-14 oz cans chicken broth
4 TB cornstarch
4 c boiling water
4 TB chicken bouillon (I use the refrigerated paste, love it!)
1 1/2 c whipping cream
1 c whole milk

1 c FRESHLY grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 of the meat from a roasted chicken (I used Costco's, they're the best)
2-3 c fresh baby spinach
1 TB dried finely diced Italian herbs
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Heat oil in large soup over medium heat then add onion, celery, carrot, garlic and saute until onions are translucent. Meanwhile in a bowl pour boiling water over bouillon and mix well. Once veggies are cooked, add bouillon water and turn up the heat to bring to a soft rolling boil. Whisk the cornstarch and chicken broth in a separate bowl. Once its boiling, slowly whisk in the cornstarch until it thickens. Next, add the gnocchi and boil for 3 minutes, then reduce heat to low and simmer. 20 min before serving add the cream, milk, chicken, parmesan cheese, herbs, nutmeg and simmer again. 10 minutes before serving add the fresh spinach. It's that easy! Enjoy.

No comments: