Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT KITCHEN HUTCH!

This gorgeous piece of pioneer heritage has been in my family a long time. It was built by my great, great, great, grandpa. He made it in New England after he arrived from Holland over a hundred and fifty years ago. It took a ride on a covered wagon across the county and ended up on a little farm in Liberty, ID. The blue paint is original, but over the years it's lost the molding beneath the top, a few screws have been added for security, and mom touched up with a little white paint "here or there". Plenty of nicks and scratches, which just add character in my book, and even a signature....my little brother Mike penned his name in permanent blue marker on the white trim on the upper right section of the right door. I'm really not sure how my mom ended up with it, but she's had it for as far back as I can remember. I'm so thankful she hung onto over the years, and the many, many moves. It's taken me a couple years to warm my husband up to the idea of bringing it upstairs from the basement to display it in the kitchen. I believe something this beautiful, made of pure American history deserves to be admired. I LOVE it, and I smile every time I walk into the kitchen.

No comments: