Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

CHOOSE THE BETTER PART........

With Mother's Day over now, I've noticed a common theme of discussion among so many of my wonderful friends on how they feel they are “a terrible mom”. The common thread is basically how their house is a mess, or they didn’t fix a 5 course meal for dinner because they didn't go grocery shopping, or how the laundry is piling up, or that they can't see the floor in the playroom, or they are so far behind on scrapbooking, and so on and so forth. I ask you this, who expects perfection? Your 3 year old, who couldn’t possibly tell the difference between creme brulee and butterscotch pudding? The truth is, as mothers we expect perfection from yourselves. We set our personal goals and expectations so far beyond what is reasonable that we miss the point altogether; enjoy it while we have it. Motherhood is not a contest. Don’t get so caught up in making a perfect life that you forget to live it. One of my new favorite quotes is this “The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they make the most of everything”. How profound yet simple this truth is. Let’s be honest here, do we need everything to be perfect to be happy? No. Who says you must never let the laundry pile up, or have a spotless house 24/7, or never be behind on your “projects” or have to always look like you just stepped out of a 5 star salon. Stop comparing yourself to every woman you know, and begin comparing yourself to YOU. Be happy, enjoy the journey and choose the better part. My mother gave me the best advice when Logan was born. "The greatest wish I have for you Amy, is that you will have a motherhood without regret. Remember each day you raise your children, that you will never get to live that day with them again. Take time to rock your babies, play pad-a-cake, spend as much time with them as you can because they grow up too fast." I’ve never forgotten her message. It's the theme of my life.

Excuse This House, author Unknown
Some houses try to hide the fact
That children shelter there;
Ours boasts of it quite openly,
The signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows,
Little smudges on the doors;
I should apologize, I guess,
For toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children
And we played and laughed and read;
And if the doorbell doesn't shine,
Their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I'm forced to choose
The one job or the other;
I'd like to cook and clean and scrub,
But first I'll be a mother.



1 comment:

Jenn Procarione said...

Amy!!!! This is EXACTLY the reminder I needed! I am going to print this post of yours out and read it often! I can't say thank you enough!

Love you girl!