Insightful Vinyl For The Week
"Don’t be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face. “Accentuate the positive.” Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life.” ~ Gordon B. Hinckley


Tuesday, May 25, 2010

CARROTS COMING OUT OF OUR EARS........



I bought 25 lbs of organic carrots through Bountiful Baskets. We love carrots at my house. We eat them steamed with apricot spice jam, freshly sliced with the peels still on, mashed with a little butter. I decided to use half the bag for juicing, because not only then we get to enjoy the delicious juice, we steam the leftover pulp and use it for casseroles, soups, meatloaf, carrot cake and cookies! This week I decided to try a new cookie recipe, so I made Orange-Carrot cookies using the leftover pulp. They are so moist and soft....heavenly. Of course I changed the recipe a little, because I really wanted it "zesty" and flavorful. I made the frosting first because I wanted to make sure I had enough OJ and zest for the frosting.

Zest, then juice an entire orange.

Frosting:
1/2 c softened butter
3 c. powdered sugar
3 TB orange juice
3/4 of the orange rind zest
1/4 tsp orange extract

Cookies:
3/4 c butter or shortening
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
2 c flour
1 c mashed, cooled carrots
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 of the orange rind zest
1 t vanilla
The rest of the orange juice
1/2 tsp orange extract
Bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes.

No comments: